Great Lakes First Federal Credit Union was originally organized on April 7, 1949 under the name of Harnischfeger Employees of Escanaba Federal Credit Union. A group of nine employees decided to organize a credit union with the idea that by saving together, they could build a fund from which loans could be made to help Harnischfeger employees who needed money for worthwhile purposes. They felt an employee free from financial anxiety is a more efficient and reliable person. Over the last 50 years several changes have occurred.
 
October 1, 1982, Harnischfeger Employees of Escanaba Federal Credit Union merged with Teamster's Local 328 Federal Credit Union.
 
In 1983, Harnischfeger Corporation closed the Escanaba Plant which resulted in the Credit Union's name being changed to Great Lakes First Federal Credit Union in March of 1983.
 
October 1, 1991, Great Lakes First Federal Credit Union merged with Gladstone Community Federal Credit Union.
 
Great Lakes First Federal Credit Union currently has an asset size of over $50 million with approximately 10,000 members. As we continue to grow, we strive to provide our members with a wide array of financial services transacted in a professional and friendly manner.